Implantatentwicklung - Geschichte der Implantologie

History of dental implants

The history of dental implants began in 1952 in Cambridge. Swedish orthopaedic surgeon and Professor of anatomy Per-Ingvar Brånemark discovered that the metal titanium fulfilled the necessary requirements like no other material, while searching of a suitable material for hip and knee replacements.

In experiments with rabbits, he found out that due to a close bond with the bone tissue titanium implants cannot be dislodged.

Because of its high compatibility (biocompatibility), titanium is “enveloped” – the bone cells grow around it – and internalised (osseointegration). To date, no allergic or foreign body reactions with the metal are known.

In 1965 Branemark, at the time professor of anatomy at the University of Gothenburg, introduced the first titanium screw into a human jaw, in Gösta Larsson. He had the implant for 40 years until his death in 2006.

Substantiated by numerous scientific studies and long-term examinations, Implantology was recognised as a safe form of therapy by the German Society of Dental, Oral and Maxillofacial Medicine (DGZMK) in 1982.

As implants have been given a very broad field of application, they have become an essential part of modern dental therapy. There are now more than 100 different implant systems. Depending on the application, there are long and short ones (5-18mm), as well as wide and narrow ones (3-7mm), so that they can be applied in any situation.